Saturday, April 7, 2012

Goodbyes, Hellos, and KOB

(Forgive the VERY long post!)

Thursday was quite the experience. We began the day with the end of Day Three of Soccer Camp, Playing the Game as our theme. We had to say goodbye to the many amazing children we had worked with during the camp. It was difficult to see them go, knowing we wouldn't see them again. We hope and pray that we have been positive mentors for them throughout this week.

After the camp ended, we had the privilege of meeting Diane Latiker, the founder of Kids Off the Block (KOB). We went to the Roseland neighborhood where her community center is located. We all sat around in a circle as Diane asked for our voices; she wanted to know who we were and where we came from. She then told us a bit about her organization and how she has come to serve as a mother, adviser, mentor, listener, coach, teacher, and lover to those youth in her community. Diane opened her home to drug dealers, homeless, and other troubled youth to give them a place to congregate instead of engaging in activities that were less than ideal. Since she has made the decision to give her life to this cause, she has opened a facility for them to come finish homework, seek advice, and grow in their talents. She followed up this discussion with showing us the memorial she has created for those youths who have died in her community due to violence. Many stones with the names of teenagers fill the walls. It was a powerful moment...

After seeing KOB, emotions were running high. We sat in silence as we drove to Dominique's family restaurant. Here we ate to our heart's content; delicious ribs, burgers, chicken, philly steaks, and more. We got to meet DD's incredible family and were privileged to talk to them about their wonderful family member.
We concluded the night with a powerful reflection. We listened to a couple of songs and reflected on our team, our experiences, and our feelings. We were able to end the night with a prayer circle; sending prayers for the less fortunate, our team, and others up to God. Many tears were shed by individuals and many emotions and thoughts were brought to the table.

The AWOL team now shares their reflections on the day:

Dominque: As I reflect on the day, it was very emotional for me. This day allowed me to say good-byes to the soccer camp, welcome members of our AWOL groups to my community and lastly spend time with my family and friends. After three days of soccer camp, it was coming to an end and it was hard to tell the kids goodbye. They all had unique personalities and stories which allowed me to build good relationships with them. After that, our AWOL group traveled to my community of Roseland, which was emotional for me because I didn't think they were going to understand. This was a big step for me but I kept an open mind. We visited an organization called Kids Off the Block. This organization plays a positive role in the community of Roseland. The founder, Diane Latiker, is one of many who has played a key role in my life. As she spoke to the entire group about KOB, her words and passion gave me goose bumps and chills. Her story also touched many people in our group which allowed them to open up on how they felt. Lastly we ate dinner at my aunt and uncle's restaurant, "Nathan's BBQ and Grill". The group also had a chance to meet my family and some of my friends. It was a great day. 

Janet: Thursday was an eye-opening experience. Reflecting back on it, I can honestly say that I’m so grateful to have met Ms. Diane. She was such an inspiration. Hearing her story and witnessing the influence she had made on each student brought me to tears.

Turissa: I am glad that we could fit Kids Off the Block into our schedule. This organization has made an impact on my life, to see how one person can impact so many young people’s lives who are living in fear because of violence. Going to see Dominique’s family was fun. After meeting her family I can see where she gets her personality and drive. This was the best day by far for impacting my life.

Sheila: This made me think of how lucky I have been to grow up in a peaceful community and have a place to call home. The youth who had lost their lives are my age mates and I feel for how their families are taking that. This made me appreciate the life I am in right now. It was so sad to see people take other people’s life just like that within a short time.

Abhib: Going through the streets today and hearing Diane’s stories, I came to realize how privileged I was when growing up. I realized that I owed a lot more to my family than I ever thought, for the life I am living today. Today at reflection, I sensed something strong between us in the prayer circle as we prayed for everyone we had seen during the course of the day as well as the people in the streets and those who are less fortunate. We created a special bond in the prayer circle; a bond filled with trust, emotions, and understandings.

Stacy: One part of the day that really stuck out in my mind was when we went to the organization, Kids Off the Block; It really impacted me while talking to Diane about the organization that she started in her home.  It was so incredible to see the passion in her eyes as she talked about her organization, which in return gave me hope. It makes me so happy that there are people in our society that do not want to give up on the kids who are in gangs or hooked on drugs. Diane gave me inspiration and motivation to work with kids when I graduate from BV because I do not want these kids to fall through the cracks. The kids Diane works with are some of the kids that need the most care and attention; without that care they could end up addicted to something or dead. These kids look up to Diane, and I want to be able to help as many kids and families as she has done through Kids Off the Block.

Amanda: Thursday was an amazing and emotional day! Saying goodbye to the soccer camp kids made me realize just how close we had gotten over those three days. It’s sad that we won’t see them again, but I’m so glad that we were able to meet them and hopefully have a positive influence in their lives. I know that they have definitely impacted me. Kids Off the Block was also an emotional experience. Diane is an absolutely outstanding person and she really opened my eyes and my heart. I hope that someday I will be able to make even a fraction of the impact that she has. This whole trip has made me want to be a better person and a better Christian. I hope I never forget what I’ve felt on this trip.

Megan: Thursday was a tough but rewarding day.  It was a lot to take in with all the stories we heard about that were unlike ours. Hearing others stories really shows how great we have had it. The experience is really worthwhile to see and we found the “real” Chicago through Diane and Kids Off the Block. It is great to see her hope for the future of these kids, even if they can’t find in in themselves.

Ken: Entering the neighborhood of KOB was a bit intimidating and there was an element of fear held for the young men and women within my van. As Diane shared about the deaths of so many youth, I envisioned losing a student I might have mentored and my spirit shook for a while. Imagining all the grieving parents, teachers, neighbors and having the entire community struggling with grief and fear would be difficult to withstand. What a powerful character Diane possesses.

Caitlin: Thursday was by far the most emotional experience I have been through. There were plenty of tears, thoughts, emotions, and feelings that wracked my soul that day. The end of the soccer camp brought me to think about the future of the kids we had mentored; where in the world will they end up? These kids have stolen my heart with their hugs and love. I am proud to say that I have known them. Going to Kids Off the Block and meeting Diane was a great and powerful experience – I have never met someone so full of spirit, love, sacrifice, and selflessness. A woman who has given her life to those who need her most, who isn’t afraid to walk in the middle of a gunfight to potentially save the life of a youth. Seeing the memorial broke my heart. I didn’t know what to feel or how to react. I couldn’t contain my tears as Diane concluded her speech. I walked away from that experience with wet eyes and a heavy heart for each individual who has lost their life in Roseland community. Meeting Miss Dominique’s family was such a treat – we definitely know where that beautiful young lady’s vivaciousness comes from! Thank you for letting us get to know them, DD! Thursday’s reflection was full of crying, prayer, and coming to terms with the power of this AWOL trip. I couldn’t have asked for a better day of learning. 

Roland: Thursday was actually one of the memorable days. That was the last day of soccer camp. I was touched by the hugs I received from the kids. You could tell from the faces of some kids how sad they were that the soccer camp was over. I asked myself, what do they do on days like that when there is nothing else for them to do? I could imagine the attention they need as kids just so they don’t end up on the wrong path. I am privileged to have come in contact with all of those kids because they impacted my life as much as I impacted theirs. I pray to God that His hands shall continue to guide and rest upon these kids in every day of their lives so they become better people with hope for the future. In reference to KOB, imagine living in the world with no hope and future. Imagine waking up in the morning with fear running all over your mind. Imagine walking in the streets knowing your life is in danger and that anything can happen to you. This is the world some people are born into. The stones made for those who lost their lives made me think deeper and deeper. These are kids losing their lives instead of the other way around. My prayer is that these kids will one day learn to appreciate their lives and the life of others. That they will have hope for their future. 

Dyanna: Sometimes it is easy to forget how fortunate we are. The experience of Thursday really opened my eyes to see the world in a bigger way. I learned to be thankful always, no matter what. I learned to appreciate the people around me for we never know what tomorrow holds. I learned to give more than I receive. I learned to believe that if we all come together to help eliminate violence in our community and give to people who need it most, our future will be brighter. Finally, I learned that we should do unto others what you want them to do to you. 

Carol: Thursday… such a powerful experience – reflecting on this day really puts everything in perspective. Last day of camp – hugs and goodbyes for these young children, sending prayers that our brief interactions and time spent with them will inspire them and give them hope. Kids Off the Block – meeting Diane Latiker and learning about her on-going work to change the lives of young people in her neighborhood. From opening her home to young people, just a small group and seeing that grow and grow. She is a woman strong in her faith. She has so much courage and really was an inspiration. Our visit ended with a quiet and somber look at the memorial wall that Diane has built to mark the life and death of those young people who didn’t make it off the street. Such a strong message – we are truly blessed that one of our group leaders was inspired by Diane, and we were there to witness that. I truly believe that every stone that marks a death, there are two or three young men and women out there who have survived because of Diane’s work. She is truly a HERO! We ended our day in the neighborhood restaurant belonging to Dominique’s uncle. Delicious food and an opportunity to visit with family and friends who have played a role in developing an outstanding young woman. She is going to be a powerful inspiration to young people like herself- I have no doubt. Back at “home” we’ve spent time reflecting on our day. Powerful, moving, inspiring – there just aren’t words. This group of young people have been transformed by this experience, I am sure of it. I feel truly blessed to have been here to witness it. I look forward to seeing all that they will do as a result of this experience. As the designated “mom” of this trip, I am truly PROUD of my “kids”. Ps. 119:105

1 comment: